The Fietsznfabriek is located on the river Spaarne on the eastern edge of the city of Haarlem in the ‘Scheepsmakerskwartier’. Houtmarkt 7 is a national monument. The complex is located near the access road to Haarlem city centre and in between the railway stations of Haarlem Centraal and Haarlem-Spaarnwoude. The new build on the Oostvest side shall be a key element in the Haarlem conservation area’s appearance.
The building complex ‘De Fietsznfabriek’ is owned by the City of Haarlem and is designated as a redevelopment site. The national heritage site at Houtmarkt 7 must be restored, whereas the former printing house should, in principle, be renovated and reused. A gutter height has been provided for the complex, a roof of no more than four metres must be installed above the gutter. A slow traffic passage (alley) must be constructed from Oostvest to the Houtmarkt.
The zoning plan allows for mixed use of the site:
- On the ground Floor: residential (except at the edge along the Oostvest), office without service windows, medical practices, services, recreational purposes and affiliated facilities;
- On the levels, only residential.
- From an area development plan perspective, it is advisable to create a courtyard.
According to the current zoning plan, Papentorenvest, an exemption can be granted for a gutter height of up to twelve meters at Oostvest and a gutter height of up to ten meters in the courtyard and on Dijkstraat. This is three metres more than the gutterheight indicated on the planning map. The zoning plan will be updated in 2018.
Location and parking
The building complex ‘the Fietsznfabriek', consists of three separate parts:
1) The building on the Spaarne – a gutter height of eight metres applies;
2) The mid section, including the undeveloped part between Dijkstraat 8 and Dijkstraat 12 – 60% of this area is available for construction up to a gutter height of 7 meters;
3) The part at the Oostvest (still largely undeveloped)– a gutter height of 9 meters applies.
A total of 8,400 m2 is available for development, 800-1,000 m2 of which must be used for commercial or social purposes in order to guarantee the mixed nature at the Oostvest side. Parking The parking standard will be calculated using the Parking Memorandum. Parking must be on site, out of sight and not directly at the street facades. The development must comply with the goals expressed in ‘Haarlem Klimaatneutraal 2030’.
- Municipality of Haarlem
Already established on this location
Temporary use by students and a social purpose.
About the area
About the area
A historic city of culture, at 12 minutes by train from inner city Amsterdam, with extensive pedestrian shopping zones and a beach nearby. Haarlem is an attractive town for families with children, as it radiates a more provincial vibe. It is also home to many small high tech companies and start-ups. The white sandy beach stretches out over almost 150 km. All along this coast, travellers will discover miles of boulevards, terraces, shops and restaurants.